Soberlink supports accountability for sobriety through a comprehensive alcohol monitoring system. Combining a professional-grade breathalyzer with wireless connectivity, the portable design and state-of-the-art technology includes facial recognition, tamper detection, and real-time reporting to designated monitoring parties. With FDA 510(k) medical clearance, Soberlink is the trusted tool in family law, addiction recovery, and workplace compliance. Soberlink proves sobriety with the highest level of reliability and accuracy to foster trust and peace of mind.
No. Currently, Soberlink only detects the presence of alcohol.
Soberlink is the most popular choice for Family Law cases that require remote alcohol monitoring. Some of the Soberlink advantages are listed below.
- Court Admissible: Soberlink results are court admissible and used in all 50 states for civil and criminal cases since 2011.
- FDA Cleared Medical Device made in the US: Ensures professional accuracy and device reliability.
- Program Options: Multiple family law programs specific to daily testing (7 days a week) or for parenting time only testing.
- Advanced Reporting: Easy to read and intuitive reporting to submit to Family Law courts.
- Automated Facial Recognition: Soberlink is the only system used in Family Law that has real-time facial recognition. Parents can choose to know in real-time if the Monitored Client has someone else submit tests for them.
- Tamper Detection: Soberlink has several technologies to flag when someone is trying to tamper with the Device. This ensures the integrity of the test results and provides peace of mind.
- Device Options: Soberlink is on its 5th generation of Device options, offering both the all-in-one Cellular Device or the smaller, Connect Device that uses Bluetooth and is compatible with iPhone and Android phones/tablets.
- Soberlink In-House Services:
- In-house Compliance Department to help evaluate events
- In-house Family Law Customer Support Team
- Family Law Agreements to ensure both parents understand and agree to the terms before testing begins
Since 2011, Soberlink has been the most popular choice for Addiction Treatment Providers to refer clients with an Alcohol Use Disorder to remote alcohol monitoring. Some of the reasons why Soberlink is the most trusted for Addiction Treatment are listed below.
- FDA Cleared Medical Device made in the US: Ensures professional accuracy and device reliability.
- Trusted by the Addiction Treatment community: Thousands of Treatment Providers have used Soberlink to aid their clients in early recovery. Soberlink works closely with the Addiction Treatment community to ensure best practices.
- Advanced Reporting: Easy to read and intuitive reporting documenting test history.
- Automated Facial Recognition: Soberlink is the only system used in Addiction Treatment that has built-in facial recognition. This feature not only saves time and increases convenience but also protects the privacy of the client.
- Tamper Detection: Soberlink has several technologies to flag when someone is trying to tamper with the Device. This feature ensures the integrity of the test results.
- Device Options: Soberlink is on its 5th generation of Device options, offering both the all-in-one Cellular Device or the smaller, Connect Device that uses Bluetooth and is compatible with iPhone or Android.
- Peer Reviewed: Soberlink has been published in the Journal of Addiction Medicine written by Addiction experts on best practices and has several other studies underway.
- Program options: Soberlink can be used with a trained Certified Provider, or clients can sign up directly with our client-direct program called Share.
- Soberlink In-House Services:
- Ongoing training for Treatment Providers with a dedicated Business Development Rep
- In-house compliance department to help evaluate events
- Highly trained Customer Service team ready to help
The Soberlink Device contains a professional-grade fuel-cell sensor with a detection range of 0.000% – 0.400% BAC and accuracy level of +/- .005 BAC. The fuel cell that Soberlink uses is globally trusted and used for high-end workplace and law enforcement breath alcohol instruments. If you would like to learn more about the fuel-cell technology Soberlink uses, you can visit our fuel cell manufacturer’s website at dart-sensors.com
Yes. Soberlink has successfully testified, defended, and validated the accuracy and reliability of the Device in court hearings.
*Before you can activate and start using the Device, you must sign a Monitoring Agreement.
View pricing for all of Soberlink’s various Family Law and Addiction Recovery programs on our pricing page.
The electrochemical fuel-cell sensor generates an electronic response that is proportional to the Breath Alcohol Concentration in the provided breath sample. The fuel-cell sensor is specifically designed for detecting alcohol. It does not respond to acetone or other substances that can be found in human breath.
Soberlink’s system uses innovative Facial Recognition technology to verify the identity of the client during each breath test. Contacts can be enrolled to receive Alerts if the tester’s identity cannot be confirmed.
Queuing or storing is a feature that allows the Soberlink Cellular Device to store and later upload tests if there is a lapse in connectivity. For example, if a test is sent from an area without sufficient cellular coverage, the test will be time-stamped and stored. Then, when cellular coverage is restored, the test will be automatically uploaded to the Soberlink Web Portal. If real-time results are imperative for concerned parties, like child custody/family law monitoring, it is recommended that queuing/storing be disabled.
The Soberlink Cellular Device only transmits data in the US. If you plan to travel outside of the US, you will need to purchase either the GSM Cellular Model or the Connect Model; the Connect model works with Apple or Android.
For the most accurate results, breath tests should be taken in temperatures between 32°F and 122°F. If the test is attempted outside of this temperature range, the Soberlink Cellular Device will not send the test result and will display a warning that the Device is too cold or hot.
Soberlink Devices are equipped with several proprietary technologies that are able to detect if a breath sample is consistent with the properties of human breath. If a breath sample is flagged as inconsistent with human breath, it will be reported to the specified Contacts.
Even though the fuel-cell sensor can stay accurate for many years, it is recommended by Soberlink to exchange the Device at 1,500 tests. All Soberlink Devices have an internal test counter that will begin to send Alerts to clients as the Devices nears 1,500 tests.
No. Soberlink does not believe that random testing is the best way to use the system. Although random testing is the norm for urine testing, scheduled daily testing creates structure and accountability, while reducing testing anxiety. This can be especially important for people in early recovery.
Avoiding incidental exposure to alcohol is simple – don’t eat, drink, smoke, or interact with products that might contain ethanol 15-20 minutes prior to testing. This is the same protocol used in roadside sobriety testing. We also recommend rinsing out your mouth with water prior to testing. The Soberlink System is unique because it includes a Retest cycle. In the event of a positive test, the Monitored Client will be prompted to retest every 15 minutes until they are compliant. Incidental exposure to alcohol from things like mouthwash should dissipate within 15 minutes, and the retest should result in a compliant .00 BAC.
Studies show elimination rates can vary dramatically from person to person. Even the same person can have varying absorption rates from day to day. Dr. Alan Wayne Jones, a top forensic toxicologist and researcher, found people fall in one of the following groups:
A “Scheduled” test is accompanied by a variable Test Window. A Scheduled Test can be submitted anytime within the selected Test Window – starting 15 minutes before the test time and ending after the selected variable testing time. Test Windows can be customized for 1-hour, 2-hour, 3-hour, or 4-hour durations. For long-term use of the system, the suggested testing window is 2 hours. Once a Test Window is selected, it will apply to all scheduled tests for that particular Client. However, the Client can send a test at any time. If a test is submitted that was not scheduled through the web portal, it will be labeled as an “Unscheduled” test.
In order to receive the text reminders, the Client must respond as prompted to the initial opt-in text message. Based on each scheduled Test Window, automated text messages will be sent to the Client’s mobile phone, reminding them that a scheduled test is coming up. If the Client tests positive or does not submit a test within the Test Window, a separate feature called “Alerts” will notify previously specified Contacts with automated email and/or text message notifications.
In the event of a Non-Compliant test, the Soberlink Device will display a message for the Client to Retest in 15 minutes. If the Client is opted-in for text notifications, they will also receive a text on their mobile phone prompting them to retest. If additional Non-Compliant tests follow, the Client will continue the Retest cycle and be prompted via text message to Retest every 15 minutes until a compliant test is submitted, or 3 hours has elapsed. Contacts can be set up to receive immediate email and/or text Alerts following positive or missed tests.
Soberlink is not currently covered by major health insurance carriers, but the Soberlink System does qualify for Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA Reimbursement). Please check with your employer about your FSA program.
The Share Program can be used by clients looking for accountability and want to share results with their Recovery Circle. The Share Program does not give web portal access to the Recovery Circle, but they are setup to receive alerts and reports by email and/or text. Certified Providers have access to the Soberlink web portal, called Sober Sky, where they will have control of the clients’ testing schedule and who will be receiving results. Certified Providers are trained on the Soberlink System and are treatment professionals who generally provide other services for their clients including recovery coaching and other support services outside of monitoring the clients' Soberlink results.
Certified Providers are Addiction Treatment Professionals who are taught how to manage their own clients using the Sober Sky web portal. The Professional is trained on the system and best practices by a Business Development Representative. If you are a Treatment Professional and are interested in learning more about becoming a Soberlink Certified Provider, complete this form and a Soberlink representative will reach out to you.
All involved parties will receive documentation of all testing activity, but the frequency and timeliness of the Report/Alert is dependent on the Plan that is chosen (i.e., Basic, Plus or Premium). Under Level 1, the Soberlink system will not track missed tests.
Choosing the best Plan depends on the communication level between each parent and how well they are willing to work together for the safety of the child(ren). For lower risk situations the Basic plan should work which will provide the results the next morning. For Moderate and High risk the Plus or Premium plan should be chosen which allows real time test results.
Level 1 is for when testing is only required during parenting time. Because parenting time schedules are consistently changing, the schedule is managed by the two parties. The Level 1 Program is limited to 20 days of testing per month. A $75 overage fee is applied if testing occurs on 21 or more days within a single month. Level 2 Program is for situations that require daily testing 365 days a year. Testing times are managed by the Soberlink System, which sends reminder text messages for scheduled tests and documents missed tests.
Best practices suggest that the Monitored Client submit the first test of the day shortly after waking and the last test of the day prior to preparing to sleep. If more than 2 tests per day are scheduled Soberlink will schedule them evenly spaced throughout the day.
Yes, Soberlink has been proven in court since 2011. We started our business in criminal justice and have been represented in all 50 states.
The Level 1 Program is limited to 20 days of testing per month. A $75 overage fee is applied if testing occurs on 21 or more days within a single month. There is no limit on the number of tests that can occur each day, but there is a limit on the total number of days per month.
Soberlink has been used in many workplace programs, but more commonly used for License Professionals in recovery. Soberlink works with most of the Physician Health Programs in the U.S. as well as major Airlines. Soberlink is commonly used as a more convenient and comprehensive testing method compared to random urine screens.
Visit the search engine page to search Soberlink.com.